COLD AND FLU BASICS
What is Sinus Congestion?
Sinus cavities are air-filled sacks on either side of the nasal cavity. When sinuses become inflamed from a cold, flu or allergens, they produce mucus. This nasal discharge fills sinuses and they become congested. This congestion can cause headaches, sinus pressure, stuffy nose, and general discomfort. This causes blockages, making it harder for the sinuses to drain.
The symptoms of sinus congestion can include:
- Thick, discolored discharge from the nose or drainage down the back of the throat
- Sinus and nasal congestion that can make breathing through your nose difficult
- Pain, tenderness, and swelling around your eyes, cheeks, nose, or forehead
- Reduced sense of smell and taste
How do you clear sinus congestion?
Sinus congestion can make life miserable, but there are some simple home remedies you can use to help reduce your symptoms.
Here are a few simple options that you may want to try.
- Getting enough rest
- Staying hydrated
- Taking a hot shower
- Applying a warm compress to your face
- Using a saline rinse
When it comes to over-the-counter treatments, medicines that contain phenylephrine HCI, like NeoCitran, can help ease sinus congestion.