COLD AND FLU BASICS
What Causes Sneezing?
Sneezing is a way for your body to expel dirt and debris that may have gotten through the first line of defense; mucus. When sensitive mucous membranes are irritated, it causes you to sneeze.
There’s a huge variety of factors that can cause sneezing. Some of the common causes of sneezing include the cold or flu, allergies, nasal sprays, dust, or air pollution.
What does it mean when you sneeze?
Sneezing is a protective reflex. In order to stop an irritant from going from your nose into your sinuses or lungs, you sneeze to push it out. It’s the body’s way of tossing out an intruder. Sneezing is not normally the result of a serious health problem and is part of your body’s natural defense system.
Sneezing can be annoying, and it spreads cold and flu germs. There are a few ways to reduce sneezing, from home remedies to simple tips to over-the-counter medications.
Preventing sneezing at home:
- Nasal sprays
- Anti-viral medication (when sneezing is caused by a cold or flu)
You can also avoid the triggers that cause you to sneeze in your home by making some simple adjustments:
- Make sure your bedding is always clean
- If you have pets, vacuum up pet hair and keep them groomed
- Buy an air filtration machine to help clean the air in your home before you breathe it in
- If you still find yourself constantly sneezing, get your house checked for mold, which can not only cause sneezing but also more serious health problems
If your sneezing is being caused by a cold or flu, it may be best to try an over-the-counter medication, like NeoCitran, that contains an antihistamine such as diphenhydramine HCI, which can ease your sneezing as you get over the bug. In addition to diphenhydramine HCI, contains ingredients that relieve sinus and nasal congestion, cough, body aches, sore throat, fever, Headache, and runny nose.